If you’re building or remodeling a home, you know that small details can make big differences in regards to functionality and aesthetics — and one detail that many tend to overlook is their interior doors. Just like your exterior entry door can make a big impact on your home’s first impression and curb appeal, interior doors can make a big impact on the first impression of each room in your home.
What’s the Difference Between Hollow Core and Solid Core Interior Doors?
Before we get into some pros and cons of each type of interior door, let’s start with some definitions:
Hollow core interior doors are made of a honeycomb cardboard interior, wrapped by a veneer or fiberboard exterior. They aren’t actually completely hollow, but their light weight makes them feel like they are.
Solid core interior doors are made of a mixture of wood and synthetic wood composites. They have a sturdy, solid interior that’s wrapped with a wood veneer exterior.
Hollow Core Interior Doors: Pros and Cons
Hollow core interior doors are a great option for homeowners, builders, and remodelers who are on a budget or looking for a simple DIY project. Here’s an overview of the advantages and disadvantages of installing hollow core doors in your home:
- Design Flexibility – Hollow core interior doors come in many different styles, and they’re often pre-primed or pre-painted to make your DIY job even easier.
- Ease of Installation – Hollow core interior doors are extremely lightweight and easy to install. Just one person can easily complete installation, making for a perfect DIY project.
- Budget-Friendly – Hollow core interior doors are very affordable compared to other types of doors, so they’re great for projects on a tight budget.
- Less Durability – Unfortunately, hollow core interior doors aren’t as durable as other door options. And if they’re damaged, they’re not easily repaired. However, at their affordable price, a complete replacement won’t break the bank.
- Less Soundproofing – Because of their near-hollow build, hollow core interior doors don’t trap sound or reduce noise very well.
Solid Core Interior Doors: Pros and Cons
Solid core interior doors are a great alternative to solid wood doors, offering similar style and functionality for a fraction of the cost. Here’s an overview of the pros and cons of installing them in your home:
- Unmatched Durability – Solid core interior doors are built tough. They can resist warping and rotting from moisture and temperature changes, making them even more durable than solid wood doors.
- Great Soundproofing – These doors’ solid nature offers great sound cancellation, perfect for rooms that need more privacy.
- Paint-Ready Design – Although solid core interior doors don’t come with as many style options as their hollow core counterparts, many of them do come paint-ready.
- Involved Installation Process – Due to their heavy weight, solid core interior doors are more difficult to install. They usually require a team of people to get the job done.
- Larger Price Tag – Solid core interior doors are definitely more expensive than hollow core interior doors. However, they’re still a great, cost-effective alternative to solid wood doors.
Which Interior Door Is Right for Me?
After considering each type of interior door’s pros and cons, it’s time to choose which one is best for you. The best way to do that? Think about the goals you have for your home or even the different rooms in your home.
- Want more privacy in your bedroom, bathroom, or office? Choose solid core.
- Want to save money and installation time for a room that doesn’t need privacy? Choose hollow core.
- Worried about the impact of fluctuating temperatures and moisture levels in your home? Choose solid core.
- Installing a lot of doors or doing a DIY project? Choose hollow core.
And remember, you don’t need to choose the same type of door for every room in your home. One type may work better in some places, and the other type may work better in others — and that’s completely normal! It’s all about what you want out of your home.
If you’re still stuck on deciding between these two door options, the experts at Zeeland Lumber & Supply can help! We also offer installation services to make the process simple and quick. For more information, call us or contact us online today.