If you’re looking for a way to make your life a little easier this summer, you may be wondering if composite decking is good for docks. Our simple answer is yes, but we’ll also tell you why here.
5 Reasons to Use Composite Decking for Your Dock
A lot of dock owners have made the shift to composite decking instead of wood, and we can’t blame them. Here’s a look at the top five benefits composite decking can bring to your dock:
01. Low Maintenance
While composite decking may cost more up front than a wood dock, it’s sure to save you time and money in the long run. It’s made of durable materials that do not require annual maintenance like sanding, staining, painting, or restructuring. You won’t have to worry about anything more than occasional soap and water rinses or power washing — giving you more time to enjoy the sun, rather than work in it.
02. Durable and Water-Resistant
Composite decking is composed of recycled woods and plastics, giving you the best of both worlds in terms of durable materials. The wood fibers provide its strength and sturdiness, while the plastics provide the moisture resistance that is critical to a dock’s longevity. While wood docks may rot and fade due to frequent water splashes, docks built with composite decking maintain their structure and beauty for years.
Composite decking is made from 95% recycled woods and plastics, eliminating any concerns about environmental impact. The wood is reclaimed from what would normally end up in a landfill, so no trees are felled during the manufacturing process. Further, the plastic coating is made from things like plastic grocery bags, sandwich bags, newspaper sleeves, and paper towel wrapping. It’s a win for you, and a win for the Earth.
04. Variety of Colors and Finishes
The color possibilities are endless with composite decking. There is no doubt you’ll be able to find one that matches your style. Some of the lighter composite decking tones are even proven to be more heat resistant than most woods. And, of course, composite decking doesn’t fade, so you can enjoy your beautiful lake view for good.
When a wood dock rots, splits, or splinters, it becomes a safety concern for whoever walks on it. Nobody likes a splinter in their foot, but nobody likes to do the regular upkeep to avoid that either. You can avoid the problem altogether with the durable qualities of composite decking.
I’m Interested. What Is the Best Composite Decking for My Dock?
At Zeeland Lumber, we carry Trex composite decking. Trex is the #1 composite decking company in the world, so we’re confident they know what they’re doing. Here are a few perks our customers enjoy when they choose Trex:
- Variety of colors – Whether you choose a light or dark hue, every color of Trex reflects beautiful natural or stained woods.
- Pest free – Pests like termites and carpenter bees are much less attracted to Trex composite decking than wood decking, providing you with a pest-free guarantee.
- No annual maintenance – Trex is built with durable materials that look great without the time-consuming maintenance.
- 95% recycled materials – Trex takes their environmental impact seriously, using over 140,000 plastic bags in each square foot of their composite decking (yes, awesome!).
- 25-year warranty – Rain or shine, Trex is guaranteed to deliver a safe, beautiful product that lasts for 25 years.
Zeeland Lumber & Supply is a proud Trex distributor. Whether you’re building a dock or a deck, we’ve got all the Trex decking options you’re looking for. Call us or contact us online to get started towards a summer of less work and more play!