Are you considering remodeling your kitchen, laundry room, or bathroom? Updating your cabinetry will make all the difference! Check out our best cabinet installation do’s and don’ts before you get started so you are set up for success.
Giving Your Cabinets a Makeover
When someone enters a room, one of the first things they’ll notice is cabinets. They’re such a statement piece in an area and can drastically change the aesthetics of a space.
First, you need to decide if you want to replace or remodel your cabinets. Remodeling/refacing cabinets means refreshing the outer part of the cabinets, usually the cabinet doors and hardware. The result is a completely new look that maintains the size and layout of the existing cabinetry.
Although replacing cabinets requires more labor, it can also offer more flexibility if you wish to change your kitchen layout or storage capacity. To replace cabinets, the existing cabinets are completely removed and new ones are installed according to your new kitchen blueprint.
If you’re interested in custom kitchen cabinets by Zeeland Lumber & Supply, check out our website to get started! Now that we have the basics of kitchen cabinet remodeling all squared away, let’s jump into the most important do’s and don’ts of cabinet installation and remodeling.
Do’s and Don’ts of Cabinet Installation and Remodeling
Figure out how to install new cabinets and give your space a major upgrade with our helpful do’s and don’ts!
Do’s of Remodeling Cabinets
- DO mark stud locations – Remember that cabinets must always be screwed firmly into a wood or metal stud to account for the weight of the cabinet and its contents. Use a stud finder to locate and mark the center of the studs throughout the room so you can reference them later.
- DO go with the flow – It’s important to adjust your plans if need be. For example, if you pull apart your current cabinet construction and notice that the structure is in better shape than you thought, perhaps focus on cosmetic changes instead or add a fresh coat of paint.
- DO become friends with a level – If one of your cabinets isn’t level, the whole project can be thrown off. During your cabinet installation, use a level and always double-check that the base of all your cabinets are in line.
- DO add an island to your kitchen if space allows – The kitchen is the heart of any home and people will naturally gather around an island. Plus, islands can provide extra counter space, storage, and seating.
- DO consider opting for open shelving – A common trend today is opting for open shelving instead of traditional cabinetry. While it’s not right for everyone (do you want to always have your possessions on display?), it can offer an interesting new style to your space.
Dont’s of Remodeling Cabinets
- DON’T forget to account for space and lighting – The last thing you want is to finish your kitchen remodel and find that you have less space or lighting than before. Ensure there is enough space for traffic throughout the room and double-check asses to windows and light fixtures.
- DON’T spend more than you can afford – As you proceed with your cabinet installation, always keep your budget in mind. If a critical structure issue pops up that you need to spend more money on, you might want to put some design elements on the back burner.
- DON’T be afraid to consult a professional – We know that DIY projects are all the rage, but we’re here to help in any way. You might have a vision for your room in mind, but an experienced professional will know how to implement the best functionality, while also maintaining a beautiful look.
- DON’T rule out doors and drawers – Typically, a room doesn’t just have cabinets. Doors and drawers are ways to add storage as well while adding some versatility to the space.
- DON’T let any space go to waste – You can never have too much storage! Remodeling a room and updating cabinets is essentially a giant game of Tetris. Utilize extra space by incorporating ceiling-height cabinets, pull-out pantries, extra shelves, and more.
Remodel Your Cabinets With Zeeland Supply & Lumber
Are you prepping for your next big remodel? We’re here for you! Check out our top-notch cabinet options from top-name brands at Zeeland Lumber & Supply!